S&P Global Market Intelligence presents In Play Today, a periodic summary of potential deal activity in the financial sectors of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This summary, which is displayed according to the location of a target's headquarters, is based on information obtained by S&P Global Market Intelligence and may not be inclusive of all potential deal activity.
* The bosses of Commerzbank AG and Deutsche Bank AG, Christian Sewing and Martin Zielke, have again held talks about a potential merger. The lenders recently secured approval by their respective executive and supervisory boards to discuss a deal.
* Charter Court Financial Services Group PLC and OneSavings Bank PLC are in advanced discussions regarding a potential all-share merger. As part of the deal, OSB will acquire Charter Court's entire issued and to-be-issued ordinary share capital based on an exchange ratio of 0.8253 new OSB share for each Charter Court share.
* PAO Credit Bank of Moscow intends to participate in an auction to acquire PJSC Asian-Pacific Bank from the Russian central bank. Sovcombank is also said to be in the running.
* Private equity firm Advent International Corp. is reportedly planning to launch a €1.85 billion bid for Italian debt collector Cerved Group S.p.A., with the deal expected to be announced in the next few days.
* Fitch Ratings, Moody's Corp. and S&P Global Inc. are the front runners for the acquisition of Acuris, formerly known as Mergermarket Ltd., in a deal that could bring in £1.2 billion.
* Spar Nord Bank A/S proposed to fully acquire Danske Andelskassers Bank A/S, saying a combination would be beneficial for both lenders as they share similar business models and customer focus.
* South African insurer Liberty Holdings Ltd. placed certain operations identified as no longer central to its revised strategy under "ownership review." The operations include its asset management businesses in Ghana, Uganda, Kenya and Botswana; Liberty Health; Liberty Africa Insurance's short-term insurance businesses in Malawi and Namibia; and the short-term insurance technology platform being developed in South Africa.
* Austria-based Erste Group Bank AG is interested in buying state-owned Budapest Hitel- és Fejlesztési Bank Zrt., or Budapest Bank, if the group is "told" they are "wanted" in Hungary, Erste Group CEO Andreas Treichl told Reuters.
* The Lake Region Economic Bloc, a group of 14 counties in western Kenya, wants to acquire Consolidated Bank of Kenya Ltd. and turn the bank into a development bank.