S&P Global Market Intelligence editors' picks for the best stories for the week ended July 27.
1. NextEra expects Fla. utility acquisitions to shore up credit, balance sheet
NextEra Energy Inc. anticipates a $6.48 billion acquisition in its home state of Florida will boost credit metrics, the company's CFO said July 25, shoring up an already robust balance sheet for other potential opportunities.
2. Trump fills out ranks at DOE, but holes remain at Interior, top of EPA
President Donald Trump has made progress in 2018 confirming and nominating top officials at the U.S Department of Energy.
3. Analysts: BHP shale assets purchase to 'transform' BP's US foothold
Bp Plc's purchase of BHP Billiton Group's shale assets will allow the global oil and gas major to "transform" its United States portfolio, according to analysts.
4. Pipeline policy review comments divide into Republican, Democratic camps at FERC
Those who want to shape the policy that guides the permitting of U.S. interstate natural gas pipelines at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission have mostly divided along political party lines, setting up a struggle over the outcome of the review.
5. Healthy international coal markets bode well for US producers' Q2'18 earnings
U.S. coal companies able to take advantage of healthy international pricing are expected to post strong results in the second quarter earnings season despite a years-long struggle with weak domestic demand.