S&P Global Market Intelligence presents In Play Today, a periodic summary of potential deal activity in the financial sectors of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This summary, which is displayed according to the location of a target's headquarters, is based on information obtained by S&P Global Market Intelligence and may not be inclusive of all potential deal activity.
* Euronext NV launched a formal cash tender offer to purchase all issued and outstanding shares in Norway's Oslo Børs VPS Holding ASA for a total of 6.24 billion Norwegian kroner. The offer price is 145 kroner per share, equivalent to a 32% premium on Oslo Børs' closing price Dec. 17, 2018.
* Banca Carige SpA identified 10 potential buyers, including Italian peers UniCredit SpA and Banco BPM SpA, and French lender BNP Paribas SA. Meanwhile, Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini said the government would consider taking control of the troubled Italian lender.
* Aston Lark Ltd. intends to launch a sale process in 2019 and has tapped investment bank Macquarie and advisory firm Livingstone to run it. Only private equity firms were likely to be invited to bid, according to The Insurance Insider.
* Rothesay Life PLC is pursuing an acquisition of Swiss Re AG's U.K. closed life book consolidator, ReAssure Ltd., for £3.5 billion. Rothesay Life is reportedly determined in making a formal offer in the next few months.
* Luxembourg-based private equity firm CVC Capital Partners Ltd. is in exclusive negotiations with Evolem SA to buy its 65.13% equity stake in French insurance broker April SA. CVC is offering €22 per April share for the stake. If the majority transfer goes forward, CVC would launch a simplified public tender offer for the remaining shares of April at the same price as paid to Evolem. The deal is subject to regulatory approvals and would be expected to be completed during the second quarter.