latest-news-headlines Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/apple-launches-200m-fund-for-investments-in-forestry-carbon-removal-projects-63698318 content esgSubNav
In This List

Apple launches $200M fund for investments in forestry, carbon removal projects

Blog

Banking Essentials Newsletter: October Edition

Blog

ESG & Technology: Impacts and Implications

CASE STUDY

A Telecom Company Relies on Deep Data to Chart its Future Strategy

Podcast

Next in Tech | Episode 35: Multifactor authentication needs and hesitations


Apple launches $200M fund for investments in forestry, carbon removal projects

Apple Inc. launched a $200 million investment fund with Conservation International Foundation and The Goldman Sachs Group Inc. to remove at least 1 million metric tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere each year.

The Restore Fund will make investments in forestry projects to remove carbon from the atmosphere while generating a financial return for investors, Apple said in an April 15 news release.

Apple aims to directly eliminate 75% of emissions for its supply chain and products by 2030. The company expects to remove the remaining 25% through the Restore Fund.

In March, the iPhone-maker said more than 110 of its manufacturing partners globally are shifting their production to 100% renewable energy, a move that is expected to result in almost 8 gigawatts of planned clean energy coming online while avoiding more than 15 million metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year.

Apple also allocated $2.8 billion of its intended $4.7 billion green bonds to fund 17 environmental initiatives worldwide.

Conservation International is a co-investor in the Restore Fund, while Goldman Sachs is managing the fund.

READ MORE: Sign up for our weekly ESG newsletter here, read our latest coverage of environmental, social and governance issues here and listen to our ESG podcast on SoundCloud, Spotify and Apple podcasts.