blog Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/blog/most-cable-networks-license-fees-nominal-in-comparison-to-industry-giants content
Log in to other products

Login to Market Intelligence Platform


Looking for more?

Contact Us

Request a Demo

You're one step closer to unlocking our suite of comprehensive and robust tools.

Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.

If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.

  • First Name*
  • Last Name*
  • Business Email *
  • Phone *
  • Company Name *
  • City *
  • We generated a verification code for you

  • Enter verification Code here*

* Required

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you've identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it's likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.

At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you've completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

In This List

Most Cable Networks License Fees Nominal In Comparison To Industry Giants

Virgin Media-O2 Tie Up, EC Reversal on Three-O2 to Reboot Consolidation

COVID-19 Impacts Incumbent Telco Revenues In Western Europe

Disney+ Ditches Free Trials — Will Other Big Streamers Follow Suit?

COVID-19 Pandemic Likely To Cause US Telemedicine Boom

Most Cable Networks License Fees Nominal In Comparison To Industry Giants

Multichannel operators are struggling to come up with a video package which is appealing to consumers, balancing popular content with a low price point. The task is easier said than done. Although we cover almost 200 basic cable networks, the top 25 networks comprise about two-thirds of license fees, with Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN at the top, generating more than $7 billion in affiliate fees, or 18.3% of the total.

TNT, the number 2 channel, is not even close at $2.57 billion. Five other channels pull in more than $1 billion per year in affiliate revenue.

By comparison, the bottom 25 in affiliate fees garner only $4 million per year in license fees on average. These include indies like Cars.TV and ShortsTV, as well as a plethora of foreign language channels that are often not in the basic digital package.

Click here for the history of affiliate fees by network going all the way back to 1989.

As the graphic shows, the top 10 networks comprise almost half of license fees: The top 20 come in at 62.1%, while the top 50 weigh in at 83.5%. That leaves just 16.5% of the pie for the remaining 140 basic cable networks that charge a license fee.

As the graphic shows, there were only 20 channels pulling in all license fees in 1989. By 1998, as more networks launched, this dropped to 82.4%. By 2008, this had dropped to 63.9%, and we appear to be stalled out at close to that, with 62.1% in 2018.

This is due to the dominance of these top networks, which continue to increase their license fee per sub well above inflation, while newcomers are able to get very nominal license fees — if they are able to get a license fee at all.

Learn more about Market Intelligence
Request Demo