|Years ended December 31 (in millions, except per share data)||2020||2019||% Change|
|Revenue||$ 7,442||$ 6,699||11|
|Adjusted net income (attributable to the Company's common shareholders)*||$ 2,830(a)||$ 2,352(b)||20|
|Adjusted diluted earnings per common share*||$ 11.69(a)||$ 9.53(b)||23|
|Dividends per common share(c)||$ 2.68||$ 2.28||18|
|Total assets||$ 12,537||$ 11,348||10|
|Capital Expenditures (d)||$ 76||$ 115||(34)|
|Total debt||$ 4,110||$ 3,948||4|
|Equity (including redeemable noncontrolling interest)||$ 3,352||$ 2,804||20|
Year-End Share Price
Dividends per Share
Revenue (in millions)
Cumulative Total Shareholder Return(e)
*Refer to "Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Information" on page 17 of this report for a discussion of the Company's non-GAAP financial measures.
- (a)Includes impact of the following items: loss on the extinguishment of debt of $279 million, lease impairments of $120 million, employee severance charges of $66 million, IHS Markit merger costs of $24 million, a $16 million gain on dispositions, a technology-related impairment charge of $12 million, lease-related costs of $11 million, Kensho retention related expense of $11 million, a pension related charge of $3 million and amortization of intangibles from acquisitions of $123 million.
- (b)Includes the impact of the following items: a pension related charge of $113 million, costs associated with early repayment of our Senior Notes of $56 million, a $49 million gain on dispositions, employee severance charges of $25 million, Kensho retention related expense of $21 million, lease impairments of $11 million, acquisition-related costs of $4 million and amortization of intangibles from acquisitions of $122 million.
- (c)Dividends paid were $0.67 per quarter in 2020 and $0.57 per quarter in 2019.
- (d)Includes purchases of property and equipment and additions to technology projects.
- (e)Assumes $100 invested on December 31, 2015 and total return includes reinvestment of dividends through December 31, 2020.
- (f)The peer group consists of the following companies: Moody’s Corporation, CME Group Inc., MSCI Inc., FactSet Research Systems Inc., IHS Markit Ltd., Verisk Analytics, Inc., Intercontinental Exchange, Inc.